This page has moved to a new address.

But No One is Chasing You....

You're About to be Redirected to the New Home of Ground Control to Major Mom: But No One is Chasing You....

Friday, January 11, 2008

But No One is Chasing You....

I run.

"Why?"

Several reasons. I guess reason #1 is because the Air Force said I have to.

"But the Air Force said you only have to run 1 1/2 miles for its fitness test. You've run as many as 26.2...why?"

I guess my routine running is 3-4 miles at a time...once upon a time a "light" run was 5 miles, but I've since slacked off. The kids have sapped that extra energy right out from under me. Why? Reason #2: it's good exercise, good for cariovascular health, and it provides a good-all-over sense of accomplishment.

Okay, here's the skinny. I had it in my head that if I maintain this running lifestyle, I'll end up one of these slender-ultra-fit MILF-types. I've been running since age 18 and I haven't gotten there yet. It's been 16 years...I need a new goal.

Running, to me, is fun and relaxing. My training runs are usually pretty laid back, and recently I've been exclusively running when both boys are in school, so I get some peaceful time to myself.

One of my oldest friends (i.e., she's been my friend for the longest, she's not THAT old), Susan, has recently started running and is ON FIRE! In two years time she went from barely surviving a 5K to being entered into the Boston Marathon this April! You go girl! She's been motivating me to keep goal by looking for races to compete in, but I'm afraid I haven't been so good at that. I've run a couple races with her and she's pretty fast!

So there you have it -- I like to run. I wish I had the time to run more, and perhaps when I have a little more control over my life I can get involved in a running club...maybe when I get to Nebraska I can do that. Some guys in my AF Reserve unit are forming an AF Marathon team for this September and I've love to be part of that, but I can't see myself getting the 8-10 hours per week you need dedicate to training this July/August.

Enjoy a few pictures from my running days.


From the 2000 Air Force Marathon. Dave and I completed it in about 4 1/2 hours and it's among the great achievements in our respective lives. That was a lot of fun! Ask me later about crying my eyes out in the middle of a Labor Day 2000 22 mile training run. Yep...lots of fun!

This is Susan and me each taking home trophies at a 5K in Suffolk, VA. It was snowing pretty rigorously during the race, but by the time we completed the awards ceremony, it had all melted and the sun was shining. Susan was the overall female winner, while I took home 1st place in my age group.


Okay, I can't believe I'm telling the public about this one. Photography was prohibited inside of the ranch, but here's some more information about this particular race. Clothing was optional, and Susan, Dave and I elected to run it CLOTHED. Maybe next year we'll be more confident, who knows...Susan was the 4th place female overall (3rd in our age group), while I was the 4th place female in our age group. Dave finished between the two of us.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At Friday, January 11, 2008 at 2:14:00 PM CST , Blogger Maryann Miller said...

Nice work with all the links to stats and imbedded pictures...good story. OK, you don't have to worry about your caffeine addicted friend from trying to outrun you...I can barely stand to run;-) A mile would be a big accomplishment for me. I'd prefer to have a typing contest!

 
At Friday, January 11, 2008 at 3:39:00 PM CST , Blogger Susie PSU said...

Running in the nude...hmmm. I don't even like going down the stairs quickly with no bra on - I can't imagine running!!

 
At Friday, January 11, 2008 at 8:14:00 PM CST , Blogger Don Miller said...

I wouldn't say I love to run. I do enjoy it. I would probably enjoy it a lot more if I ran with a nude MILF. Forsure I know we would enjoy it a lot more if I could catch her!

 
At Friday, January 11, 2008 at 10:14:00 PM CST , Blogger Paul said...

Dave finished between the two of us.

Livin' the dream, brother.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home