This page has moved to a new address.

Hankerin' for Naners

You're About to be Redirected to the New Home of Ground Control to Major Mom: Hankerin' for Naners

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Hankerin' for Naners

I was straightening out my pantry this morning and came across a semi-old box of Nilla Wafers in the back of the snack section. (Yes, I have sections, but that's for another post). I tasted a couple and they seem okay. Not super-crispy, but definitely not stale.


So I thought of how I could use them up...the first choice, of course, is to put them in the boys' lunch boxes every day between now and next week.

But then...I was reminded of a homestyle southern style restaurant I went to for lunch in Warner-Robins, GA last month.   Called Owens Boarding House, it's an old fashioned soul food joint.  Dessert that day was banana pudding -- the REAL banana pudding, custard-style vanilla pudding, meriangue on top, etc.

So that's what I set out to do. If you rip open the cardboard Nilla Wafers box, the recipe is on the inside of the back panel (I believe it's ALWAYS printed there -- in English AND Spanish). But it's also here if you're interested.

I didn't have enough cookies for the garnish, but I think the meriengue will be pretty enough.

I don't have a double boiler, but I have a great set of stainless mixing bowls that can be popped on top of a pot of boiling water that works just as well.

It's in the oven right now, and so far so good. This might be my first successful cooking blog post!! Whoo hoo!

PS: Tonight's original dessert option was going to be a 7-Layer Jello (courtesy of Paul G.), but I didn't have enough Knox gelatin in the house. You need 1 1/2 boxes (6 packets).

PPS: I know I butchered the name of the light, whipped white layer at the top of the dessert. Merangue? Meriengue? Meringue? Perhaps that last one! Yes, that's the one I'll use.

<--- PPPS: It's done! Isn't it yummy-looking! To bad there isn't scratch-n-sniff blogging here.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 8, 2008 at 8:15:00 PM CST , Blogger Maryann Miller said...

Wow, real merangue. Merangue like real whipped cream is a little out of my league;-) PRETTY.

 
At Tuesday, January 8, 2008 at 8:38:00 PM CST , Blogger Don Miller said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Tuesday, January 8, 2008 at 8:41:00 PM CST , Blogger Don Miller said...

Meringue according to Wikipedia. Mama used to make nan'ner pud'n for us using that nilla wafers recipe. I was 25 years old before I found out that when they are soft they are not fresh. I never liked them when they were crisp. I like them once they got soft.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home