This page has moved to a new address.

Craft Time is Back!

You're About to be Redirected to the New Home of Ground Control to Major Mom: Craft Time is Back!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Craft Time is Back!

Well...I'm trying to bring it back! I can't even remember the last time I blogged about a craft I've done with the boys...

Timmy and I interrupted our crayon-peeling session to pick up Jake from school. When Jake got home he was excited to get to help out. I told the boys we could make multi-colored crayon "muffins" and they thought that was cool.

I used my oldest muffin tin, which I wasn't really using for real food anymore anyway.

So they chose which colors to put together, I tried to ensure the color combinations weren't too ugly (i.e., no teal and bright red together). And into the oven they went.

So here's the before:


And after:


And a close up of one of the "muffins". Note the white top to the crayon. That's essentially clear wax and it separates from the coloring in the cheaper crayons. Crayolas don't do that, but I had mixed in a number of Quizno's, Bahama Breeze, Fazoli's, Cracker Barrel and Rose Art crayons in with the Crayolas.



Finally, some shots of the boys coloring (Jake's making a rubbing of a yo-yo string) , and look how cool Jar Jar Binks looks with red and yellow stripes! That's all from one crayon!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 6:33:00 PM CDT , Blogger Paul said...

Your "oldest muffin tin" looks like the ones I use for baking. I guess that's why I always use paper liners...

 
At Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 7:39:00 AM CDT , Blogger Robin said...

I think I am deeming you with a "coolest mom award"! What a great idea! How long did you put them in the oven - and at what temp? I want to try it too!

 
At Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 8:36:00 AM CDT , Blogger The Vollmers said...

You can use a muffin tin with metallic muffin liners (and then you don't have to go out and buy a new muffin tin), I heated them at about 250-265F for 15 minutes. Different brands of crayons melted at different rates -- if you used just Crayolas, I'd guess that they'd all be melted at the same time.

Let the muffins cool on your counter for about 5 minutes, then into the freezer for at least 30 minutes. They'll pop right out after that, but if they're truly frozen, give them another 1/2 hour or so to let the crayons thaw...ours got brittle from the kids using them right out of the freezer. One of them shattered. :-)

 
At Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 6:23:00 PM CDT , Blogger Mary P. said...

Unbelievable - I had no idea you were so crafty :o)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home