This page has moved to a new address.

Techno-Addicto-Lady II: The Auxiliary Cable

You're About to be Redirected to the New Home of Ground Control to Major Mom: Techno-Addicto-Lady II: The Auxiliary Cable

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Techno-Addicto-Lady II: The Auxiliary Cable

So one of the things I was looking forward to with my new iPhone was plugging it into our car's auxiliary port and letting the tunes fly through our car's stereo speakers.

We had issues with our Motorola Rokrs before because our aux cables were for 3.5 mm jacks, Rokrs needed 2.5 mm jacks. Of course.

I was told iPhones use 3.5mm headphone jacks and there should be no problem plugging it into my vehicle. Yay!

But when I tried to plug in our cable, it turned out the port on the top of the iPhone was "recessed" and the cable wouldn't plug in all the way.



Isn't that the way it always goes? You think you've got it covered, and then Apple pulls some sort of proprietary trick to make you have to run out and buy a "special" product.

Well I wasn't going to let Apple get the better of me on this one!

I was at Radio Shack, where I was able to find the iPhone's iGo tip I needed for my car charger (yay!) and I explained my frustration with the recessed audio-out port. The gentlemen pondered whether I might like to "whittle down" the rubber casing on one end of one of the cables I already have. Heck, what do I have to lose, right?

So last night I gave it a go, and it worked!

Before:


After:


Success!


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 3:13:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

radio shack may not be perfect... but you got to hand it to them.. you need things like cables, earpads, or other little things for the electronics that other stores don't have, they got it... now if only they had the $139 stilettos they advertised online around here and not all the way down in michigan. but at least they knew where they could get it. which is a lot more than i could say for other places... and btw, that's not a bad job whittling plastic...

 
At Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 7:48:00 PM CDT , Blogger Don Miller said...

MM,
Practice makes perfect. Try a potato peeler when you do the stereo cable.
:-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home