This page has moved to a new address.

Eleven Years?

You're About to be Redirected to the New Home of Ground Control to Major Mom: Eleven Years?

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Eleven Years?

This advertisement was on the back of my latest issue of National Geographic:

From AllState

I found this pretty interesting. The statistic, that is. I never gave that much thought to how long I planned to stay out of full-time work. Sometimes I wonder whether I'd go back into meteorology, or if I'd pursue some other career: teaching rears its head most often. After all, our nation has a significant shortage of math and science teachers, especially at the high school level. I could do that...I think.

A woman in my church knitting group recently changed careers and is now a high school algebra teacher near Fayetteville. Some of her stories are scary, but she still is very proud that she can help with the shortage.

So...eleven years. Wow. I just hit 3 years out of the workforce last week.

PS: I agree with all of the tips offered in that advertisement. Make sure your spouse is covered for his/her retirement.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At Sunday, February 10, 2008 at 9:19:00 PM CST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you do go into teaching, just remember a few things..

go for the proper education classes and not go cold into the classroom. i did that once, and from my own experience you would be better off.

and don't teach in the same building as your kids... they may feel the wrath of their other classmates from that.

take control of all parts of your curriculum (from books to assignments).

and if you do teach, have fun doing it while teaching the basics and beyond.

tmi?

 
At Monday, February 11, 2008 at 9:10:00 PM CST , Blogger Don Miller said...

It's funny. The entire financial world just assumes that a person retiring will be married. That add assumes you'll have a 'Spousal IRA' to contribute too. Granted to spend 11 years out of the work force you are either married or you are wealthy so retirement is not a concern. Yet 40% of women over 65 will be alone (19% of men). Having attended a lot of retirement planning sessions and read a lot of retirement material never a word about single retirees. Not having a spouse means you sink or swim all by yourself. Some things are easier to decide as a single person, but two incomes putting money in the pot really can far exceed what a single person can ever achieve. Especially if they start putting it in sooner.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home