This page has moved to a new address.

Pardon Me While I Vent a Little

You're About to be Redirected to the New Home of Ground Control to Major Mom: Pardon Me While I Vent a Little

Friday, September 9, 2011

Pardon Me While I Vent a Little

The box on the right was purchased in mid-July.  I thought I needed two boxes of cake mix for something, but I only needed one.  The box on the left was purchased this morning.  Darned straight I took the box tops!  But note the size difference....did someone think we wouldn't notice???
I'm baking Jacob's birthday cake right now.  The final product is a surprise -- even for me, since I don't quite know what I'm doing yet -- but I needed two boxes of cake mix for this.

I had a box of mix in the pantry from a couple months ago (the one on the right), and I prepared it as on the back of the box.  1 1/4 c. water, 1/3 c. oil, 3 eggs.

Just before I took the first cake out of the oven, I prepared the batter for the second part of the cake.  I was just about to add the same ingredient amounts as above, but I caught a glimpse of the instructions on the box on the left: 1 c. water, 1/2 c. oil, 3 eggs.

I fished the first box out of the recycling bin and placed them side-by-side: you see that photographed above.  Somewhere between July and now Betty Crocker decided to knock 3 oz (1/6th!) from their cake mix.  And I didn't see a difference in a price.

Isn't this the same thing that been happening with ice cream and salad dressing?

RRRR!

Thank you for letting me vent...time to get part 2 of the birthday cake out of the oven...yes, at 10pm!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Friday, September 9, 2011 at 11:32:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jennifer said...

How frustrating!! No one would even notice unless they had them both next to each other.

 
At Friday, September 9, 2011 at 11:41:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's how the food companies keep you from seeing inflation. they reduce the size a little but keep the same price, hoping you won't notice. when too many notice and complain, they put back the original size and finally raise the price.

 
At Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 6:50:00 AM CDT , Blogger Shelly said...

About a week ago I was making brownies from a box mix. Growing up, we always used box mix and baked them in a 9x13 pan. I made the brownies like I normally do, but realized at the end there didn't seem to be enough mix for that pan.

I checked the box and sure enough the box says for an 9x9 pan. It is the same size box that we used to buy, but now makes less brownies.

It definitely takes some getting used to.

 
At Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 9:09:00 PM CDT , Blogger Don Miller said...

I'm surprised that they didn't brag the box had 1/6 fewer calories.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home