This page has moved to a new address.

Florida Discoveries 17: Narceus Americanus

You're About to be Redirected to the New Home of Ground Control to Major Mom: Florida Discoveries 17: Narceus Americanus

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Florida Discoveries 17: Narceus Americanus

Ready to be grossed out?

This morning I went to the backyard to cover our grill (I forgot to cover it last night) and when I picked up the cover, this thing fell out and started walking across our patio:

At about 4" long, you can't just ignore this thing!

Okay, are you done screaming and climbing up to the highest point in the room?

These things are all over our backyard here.  Meet the Narceus americanus, or the North American millepede.  This thing is BIG!  And he's FAST.  And after I finished doing the heebie-jeebie dance about it, I ran inside to get my camera.  It was a race to get some pictures before he made it to the grass and burrowed into the soil.

Don't touch this millipede, it will exude some sort of irritant as a defensive mechanism.

Enjoy some more pictures!  I promise something MUCH happier and prettier tomorrow!




I took this picture for a size comparison.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home