This page has moved to a new address.

Tadpole/Pond Update

You're About to be Redirected to the New Home of Ground Control to Major Mom: Tadpole/Pond Update

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tadpole/Pond Update

I'd been writing about the tadpoles and our pond every couple weeks, so here's the latest:

The pond has been doing very very well.  The water is nice and clear, we've had very little issue for the past couple weeks, although the "hair algae" is starting to grow again, which means a manual scrubbing of the stone surfaces.  I have to do this every 6-8 weeks as it is...no big deal, except it's really hot outside!

The goldfish are continuing to flourish and grow well.  I guess that addage is true: goldfish will grow into their surroundings.

As for the tadpoles, when the kids and I returned from New York, the three tadpoles each looked distinctively different from each other.  One had his front and hind legs, one had long back legs, and the third one still looked like a tadpole.

Here's the one with the front and hind legs, he was stuck to the side of the Critter Carrier when I first saw him after getting back.  You can see the one with only the hind legs just below him.


Unfortunately, that well-developed one had passed away the following morning.  Boo...so now we're down to two.

The one that only had hind legs on Sunday now has his front legs, and the most-tadpolish looking one has hind legs coming in.

I'm now at an impasse about what to feed these guys -- allegedly they transition from eating green matter to wanting more bugs and stuff.  I might pick up some crickets at the store tomorrow.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At Sunday, August 7, 2011 at 12:17:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jennifer said...

I've always wanted to do the tadpole to frog thing, but haven't yet. I'm thinking about trying it this year since we'll be doing zoology. I hope you have frogs soon!!! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home