This page has moved to a new address.

Florida Discoveries #13: Black-Velvet Featherleaf Slug

You're About to be Redirected to the New Home of Ground Control to Major Mom: Florida Discoveries #13: Black-Velvet Featherleaf Slug

Monday, May 30, 2011

Florida Discoveries #13: Black-Velvet Featherleaf Slug

"You have GOT to be kidding me!  You're going to blog about slugs???"

It's been described as having a dry-tire surface to it.  I have to admit, as close as I got to the slug to get these pictures, I did NOT touch it!


LOL!  Yes I am!  Because I was so incredibly stunned when I saw this black stick start slithering across my driveway last week!

Meet a black-velvet featherleaf slug, which is a species of slug introduced from South America to northern Florida in the 1960s.  This website seems to have a good description, and I found some snippets of information at these other sites. 

Florida Slugs
Black-velvet featherleaf slug sightings in the Jacksonville, FL area.

The one I saw was pretty long and slender. About the length of my middle finger (3-4"?).

Here are the other pictures I got. Enjoy, if you dare!





3 Comments:

At Friday, June 3, 2011 at 9:50:00 PM CDT , Blogger Kris Bordessa said...

Is it doing damage to your garden??

 
At Saturday, June 4, 2011 at 9:14:00 AM CDT , Blogger The Vollmers said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Saturday, June 4, 2011 at 9:14:00 AM CDT , Blogger The Vollmers said...

Not to my knowledge. The hornworms did much much worse damage. This slug was crawling across my driveway, the front yard has minimal landscaping. All the gardening is in my backyard.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home