This page has moved to a new address.

Like Watching Paint Dry

You're About to be Redirected to the New Home of Ground Control to Major Mom: Like Watching Paint Dry

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Like Watching Paint Dry


Paul and I have gone nearly a week uploading to each others' computers with CrashPlan.  It's been quite successful, in that we are successfully connecting to each others' computers consistently.  That's the good news.

The bad news is that I'm seeing just how slow my AT&T DSL network is.  I purposefully selected a data plan that matches what we'd need it for the most -- which did not include extreme gaming or running a small business.  Something middle-of-the-road.

With his FiOS network on the East Coast, Paul has already uploaded all his data (nearly 100 GB) to "the cloud", while I'm less than 10% through.  No fiber availability in my area, unfortunately.

Paul's upload rate to my own machine is more than twice as fast as my upload to him.

At my house, we're also challenged with trying to do other things on our network while CrashPlan is active, like uploading pictures and videos.  I have to shut down the data transfer if we're doing particularly important work.

Ever the optimist, I really want to see this through - I wholeheartedly believe that once the initial transfers occur, you can leave Crashplan on and it does periodic updates only...requiring much less bandwidth.

Fingers crossed!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home