This page has moved to a new address.

The Star Wars Cupcake Decorating "Kit"

You're About to be Redirected to the New Home of Ground Control to Major Mom: The Star Wars Cupcake Decorating "Kit"

Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Star Wars Cupcake Decorating "Kit"

This week my youngest son is celebrating his 6th Birthday. I won't be specific about which day, but with family in town this weekend, I made some pre-birthday cupcakes to serve as dessert.

Last weekend we were at our local mall-like-shopping-location. It isn't really a mall, since it doesn't have that old-school enclosed building thing going on. It's of those open-air places, where you walk outside between the pretty-people stores.  Each of the past 4 locations we've lived has had one nearby.  Most of you who live in suburban America know what I'm talking about, right?

We ventured into Williams-Sonoma -- the lure of free samples usually attracts my boys. The thought of one day having a kitchen like what's in their catalogs attracts me. There was a lovely display of Star Wars-themed kitchen supplies. Of course we were attracted to the display like white on rice!  There in the middle among the cookie cutters and pancake molds were these "cupcake decorating kits".



My kids begged "Please? Please? Please?" for one of the kits, so I caved in and let my youngest son choose the kit.   I'm so glad he picked the Rebel Alliance kit instead of the Galactic Empire one.  I thought the set was pretty cute, and at the time I didn't think anything of paying $12 + Northwest Florida tax for it.  How could I turn down classic Star Wars???

Tonight my mom and I made some cupcakes for dessert, using 1/2 of the baking cups and toothpicks.

That's what this kit is: baking cups and toothpicks.  Probably about $1 worth of product, to be honest.




We devoured the cupcakes and the used baking cups went right into the trash, but I made a point to insist that no one lick the toothpicks and make sure to recycle them.  The pictures on the toothpicks are made of a slightly-waxed paper.  Not quite cardstock, but a little heavier than just plain paper.

My opinion?  $12 for this kit is a considerable indulgence.  My kids were smiling all evening from the cute toothpicks, and one could argue that doesn't make this all a waste.  If you aren't picky about the baking cups -- considering R2, C3PO and Chewie were all on the bottom of the finished cupcake where no one will really see them -- you might be able to get away with making the toothpicks on your own.

Consider how many different characters you could glue to toothpicks and stick in cupcakes!  Maybe this is what I'll do for next weekend's Mario Brothers cake that's been requested for the party next weekend.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 9:01:00 AM CST , Blogger The Country Cook said...

Did they have the spatulas at your store too? I saw these online and went crazy over them they were so cute. And there was an apron too. I totally geeked out...lol. Good choice boys!

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 9:34:00 AM CST , Blogger The Vollmers said...

Yes! I'd have bought the Stormtrooper Spatula in two seconds if it wasn't bundled with $30 of other stuff I didn't want. Saw the aprons too! Oh yeah, way cool!

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 9:34:00 PM CST , Blogger Paul said...

Nice job...I especially like how it appears Luke is peeing on the cupcake.

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 10:18:00 PM CST , Blogger The Vollmers said...

@thecountrycook: got two spatulas today!
@Paul: ha ha ha!

 
At Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 9:14:00 PM CST , Blogger The Vollmers said...

@Paul: This post (somewhat edited) is going into GeekMom tomorrow and I mention the Luke peeing thing in the caption. I want to give you credit for noticing that, but not sure how.

 
At Monday, January 24, 2011 at 8:34:00 AM CST , Blogger Paul said...

Don't worry about it...I don't need credit. It's all yours, PV!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home