This page has moved to a new address.

Things I Won't Miss About This Place

You're About to be Redirected to the New Home of Ground Control to Major Mom: Things I Won't Miss About This Place

Friday, April 10, 2009

Things I Won't Miss About This Place

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be here than Bagram or Balad. The trips off base were great and I'm glad I took the risk to venture out there. But this is still a deployed location and I had to do without quite a bit.

Here's a list of things I won't miss about being here...

1.) Wearing reflective belts at night even though the AF Physical Fitness uniform is covered in reflective screen printing.
2.) The dust.
3.) Eating breakfast at dinnertime, and dinner at lunchtime, and lunch at breakfasttime.
4.) The dust.
5.) Having a first sergeant come up to me outside to ask me to tuck in my fitness shirt all the way. Like he was standing there waiting for me to arrive to give him something to do.
6.) The dust.
7.) Wearing reflective belts at night around my uniform, and around my backpack.
8.) The dust.
9.) Trudging home from work in 90 degree temperatures along the roadside while a young Airman whizzes past me in an air conditioned 2009 Ford F-150 with no other passengers.
10.) The dust.
11.) The smell of ASS in the trailers when we weren't able to open the doors periodically. One giant collective fart.
12.) The dust.
13.) The smell of dead animals right outside the entrance to the dining facilities. There's no better way to perk up your appetite.
14.) The dust.
15.) The dining hall main line servers (not military) who always would offer me TWO steaks, TWO pieces of lasagna, TWO Belgian waffles. What, did they think I wasn't fat enough?
16.) The dust.
17.) Having to walk 90 seconds to the latrine if I have to pee in the middle of my sleep time...and having to remember to tuck in my uniform shirt and put on my reflective belt first.
18.) The dust.
19.) Having to reduce my entire life down to the contents of two suitcases.
20.) The dust.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At Friday, April 10, 2009 at 11:15:00 AM CDT , Blogger Christina said...

Heheheee... I drove a truck most days I was there... I would have picked you up! :-)

 
At Friday, April 10, 2009 at 3:29:00 PM CDT , Blogger Paul said...

Hey, get this. I've got wireless Internet in the room. 5 bars too. Go figure.

I don't bother with the reflective belt when I go to the bathroom...I'm crossing a sidewalk, no one's going to hit me.

I love the 30 second walk (you must walk slow when you have to pee! :) ) to the bathroom...I've seen how far others have to walk and I'm happy to have a cadillac so close, and a new one at that.

I saw two ants in the room tonight...did you have a problem with them?

Travel safely - thanks for the room!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home