This page has moved to a new address.

I'm Impressed!

You're About to be Redirected to the New Home of Ground Control to Major Mom: I'm Impressed!

Saturday, April 4, 2009

I'm Impressed!

Hello! No pictures for today, since I'm preparing to go to bed, but here's quickie update for the gang!

1.) My replacement, Paul, is here. Yay! Paul showed up in great spirits and so far has been taking the firehose of information quite well.

2.) Paul arrived on Thursday night. About 12 hours prior was when I was notified to pack up and move out of my room, it was to be given to Paul upon his arrival. Great. Typically, one moves into a "transient tent", which is fine when you have an outbound flight arranged. I didn't have an outbound flight arranged at the time so our first sergeant said that if someone in a dorm was willing to take me in, I can share a room with someone. Enter Rose! I had stayed in Rose's room in March when she was on vacation (she's deployed here for MUCH longer than me!) and she took me in for the duration of my tour, bless her heart. Thanks Rose!

3.) I don't know exactly when I'm coming home quite yet. Even if I did know when I was coming home, I wouldn't publish it on the Internet, but I could at least say here "Yay! I know when I'm coming home!". I will say that the suspense is killing us!

4.) Those computer batteries I had purchased my first week here, that provided me 8 hours of life back in February before requiring a charge, now gives me a whopping 45 minutes of untethered support when I'm trying to webcam with the family. But that's okay, I've found several hidden outlet spots that I can take advantage of when I'm doing the webcam thing at 3-in-the-morning here...very few others online at the time. Besides, something strange happened to the WiFi here and my connections aren't so hot as it is.

Just as well on the computer and the batteries -- it's literally going into the GARBAGE when I get home, so it only has another month-or-so to live. MacBook, here I come!

So as you can see, there are many signs out there that my time here is wrapping up, even if I don't have a clear date for leaving. I'm homeless, my replacement is here and is being trained up, and I'm getting weekly e-mail notifications about what date my e-mail address here will be turned off! All good signs.

Besides my husband and kids (and Howie, who is recovering exceptionally from his surgery of 10 March), I think the thing I can't wait to do is COOK!!! I'm breaking out the big guns when I get home, I think: chicken etouffee, beef bulgogi, homemade bread, hand-decorated cakes!

Time for bed!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Saturday, April 4, 2009 at 7:20:00 AM CDT , Blogger The Vollmers said...

Okay, okay...I apparently had something else in mind when I titled this post. I started by talking about something that I decided not to discuss for the same reasons I don't discuss specifics about where I am, what I'm doing, or when I'm going somewhere.

About 10 seconds after I hit "publish", I realized that I meant to change the name to a more benign title, such as "Short Update" or something similarly unimaginative.

 
At Sunday, April 5, 2009 at 3:39:00 AM CDT , Blogger Paul said...

I for one am not looking forward to you leaving. I'm still trying to drink from the firehose at work...you're my crutch. Plus you're a pal...I like having you around.

Now get some sleep! You've got to drive later, remember? And I'm your passenger!

 
At Sunday, April 5, 2009 at 6:57:00 AM CDT , Blogger The Vollmers said...

I did sleep! I wrote this some 24 hours ago, I'm going to make Matt drive once I pick him up, I think. He doesn't like my driving.

 
At Monday, April 6, 2009 at 8:16:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

You guys are both weird. Wouldn't be easier just to have these conversations face to face!?!?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home