This page has moved to a new address.

Some Good Nebraska News...

You're About to be Redirected to the New Home of Ground Control to Major Mom: Some Good Nebraska News...

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Some Good Nebraska News...


I got some good news today.

"FINALLY! You're going to tell us something good that happened to the Vollmer Family in Nebraska?"

Now wait a second -- I posted this a couple weekends ago.

"Yeah, but then you were hit with that flat tire on the bike ride over to watch the airshow itself."

I know...I know...the move itself was better than the move from Florida to North Carolina, but some of the circumstances that have occurred just after the move seem pretty bad, huh?

Okay, okay...back to the point. I received some good news today. Jake is registered for soccer and he starts on September 8th.

When we first arrived here, I immediately started networking with other Moms in the neighborhood about two things: piano lessons and soccer leagues. Jake's school and Timmy's preschool is already squared away.

The piano lessons part was easy, there's a piano teacher who lives right behind me! (Hi Alissa, if you're reading this!) I hope to start Jake soon, but I'm not in an incredible hurry.

The soccer was a bit more difficult. Two parents told me that we were just a TAD late for Bellevue Soccer Club and Little Rascals Soccer open registration, but I could inquire about indoor leagues starting after outdoor soccer ends in November. I made a few phone calls...talked to a few other parents...and Jake's future in soccer fell into two categories.

1.) He needs to be 9 years old for most indoor soccer leagues.

2.) He can go onto a waiting list for the local leagues that have already ended open registration.

Discouraged, I placed a phone call to the Bellevue Soccer Club representative to ask about how long the waiting list is. The gentleman was very nice and told me that if I acted fast...as in, within the hour, I could still get Jacob on the waiting list. He told me where to download the registration form on the web, and said to fill out the form and drop it at the Bellevue Soccer Club fields mailbox by 5pm (we were talking at about 3:50pm). At 5pm the coaches were going to assemble the lists and if there were still openings Jake might just make it.

So I acted fast. I had to pick up Howie from a grooming appointment anyway, and the BSC fields were on the way.

Today at about noon someone called to say that Jake made it onto a U6 team, please send the check to a particular address. Yay!

Jake is definitely nervous about starting in a new league, and an outdoor league, at that! He's been playing indoor soccer since his 4th birthday. He's really good when he isn't under pressure, and is just starting to develop quicker decisionmaking. Unlike Dreamsports in North Carolina, this group will practice and play twice per week.

As for Timmy, aside from his preschool on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I'll probably get involved in a MOPS group in Papillion (the next town over to the west). They start up in September and meet on Wednesday mornings.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 9:46:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think he'll do ok in outdoor soccer. if anything, it'll heighten his endurance for the indoor game later on. and it'll also help his one-on-one skills when doing more of the open-field stuff.

but he will have to watch the off-side ruiles, since they are a lot more liberal about the off-side rules than the inside. in the indoors, you have the specific lines on the field, but in outdoors, it's a lot more subjective as they count offside being ahead of the last two defenders before the ball passes them. so just don't get too pissed at the refs if they make a few close calls on that.

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 7:27:00 AM CDT , Blogger Robin said...

yay MOPS! I hope you love your group as much as I love the one here. It has been the best way to meet other transient moms of toddlers!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home