This page has moved to a new address.

Laundry Day!

You're About to be Redirected to the New Home of Ground Control to Major Mom: Laundry Day!

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Laundry Day!


It's laundry day in the Vollmer house. For those who don't know, I HATE laundry. Always have. I was quite lucky as a kid -- I did a lot of chores in my house growing up (washing dishes, mowing the lawn) but laundry was never one of them. I think my Mom had her way of doing laundry and it was just less work to do it herself rather than deal with us kids messing things up. I understand completely -- I get nervous that Dave might accidentally let a bra or sweater go into the dryer and we all know what happens then!

Anyway, before kids, and while Dave and I were both active duty Air Force, our laundry was easily a 1/2 day chore, once a week. One load of whites, one load of colors. Our uniforms were usually being professionally cleaned, so we didn't even have to worry there.

Of course NOW, particularly in the wintertime, during Timmy's potty training (that's another posting, we're in the home stretch!), the clothes pile up like crazy. Once a week is a no-go. But I'm not disciplined enough to do it daily, which is what many of my friends claim to do: 1-2 small loads per day = 10-15 minutes worth of work per day.

What I do is probably worse: 5-6 very-large-loads every 4-5 days, 1-2 hours of folding/putting away.

And then I really take my time -- I've been known to let the clothes sit in the dryer or in baskets in the laundry room for as many as 5 days. I'll just pull what I need from the piles. But typically, I can do everything in one day.

So go ahead -- take my poll! I've been wondering if I'm sort of a freak because I don't do laundry daily.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At Thursday, January 17, 2008 at 5:39:00 PM CST , Blogger Paul said...

I do mine weekly, and my wife does the rest (hers and 3 kids) over a couple of days. And though I wash my clothes weekly, I put them away every other week.

 
At Thursday, January 17, 2008 at 6:20:00 PM CST , Blogger Maryann Miller said...

I do at least 1 load every day. I am serious. I wash it after the kids go to bed, put it in the dryer before I go to bed, and fold it shortly after I get up in the morning. That just takes into account clothes (and towels). That does not count extra loads for linens, couch blankets, car wash rags, etc. I don't hate it, but I sure do get tired of it. Most of our clothes stay in the laundry room. I'm good about folding...I'm not good about putting away. We have a clothing rod and shelves in the laundry room plus I admit to using the space on top of the washer and dryer (to Rick's dismay sometimes).

 
At Thursday, January 17, 2008 at 7:47:00 PM CST , Blogger Robin said...

I have asked so many other moms this question!! I can't wait to see all the answers you receive! I usually have a laundry-intensive day once or twice a week - usually about 8-10 loads. It all gets folded and put away that day too - there is no good place to stash it, so it has to get put away. I have also tried the do a load or two a day method - and it works for a while, until we have a crazy week when we are hardly home. Then I get behind... and end up catching up in a day or two marathon... so goes the cycle.

 
At Thursday, January 17, 2008 at 8:02:00 PM CST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the advice of my dear husband, I try to do a load a day. He was out of work for a bit recently and was diligently doing the laundry every day. I've just started back up with it this week and am trying to do a load every day. When we change the sheets and wash towels that adds an extra few loads a week.

We line dry almost everything (we have a set up to hang everything inside in the winter...this helps keep the air from being too dry and we can put some racks in front of the woodstove) so I also take the time to hang everything up and take it down daily. The boys theoretically fold their own laundry, but it gets done much quicker when I do it. We've been known to live out of the clean laundry basket.

 
At Thursday, January 17, 2008 at 10:13:00 PM CST , Blogger Don Miller said...

Humm,
Laundry...I do laundry about as often as I do dishes. I do a load a week. Sometimes when I change sheets I'll do a 2nd load.

I fold and put away twice a year. I fold the winter stuff about June and the summer stuff about December. Rest of the time it just stays in the basket and or dryer.

When my sister comes she messes up my system by making me fold and put away. Gess.

 
At Friday, January 18, 2008 at 2:46:00 PM CST , Blogger Lois said...

I do laundry whenever the hamper is almost full or when we begin to run out of underwear. I do only 1 load a day because we have small cesspools and I've been told that the washing machine water is what fills them up. I fold the clothes when I watch TV in the evening and they get put away whenever....or I just pick what I need out of the basket.

Mom (Lois)

 
At Friday, January 18, 2008 at 6:43:00 PM CST , Blogger The Vollmers said...

Thanks everyone for the cool feedback! It's good to know I'm not the only one who sometimes lives out of her laundry basket! I'm pretty good about putting away the boys' clothing -- mainly so they don't see their clothes sitting out and go romping through it, but Dave's and my clothes will sit in the basket until I need the baskets again for the next round. I think things would be different if my washer and dryer were on the 2nd floor, where most of our clothing sits when it's not being worn.

 
At Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 6:14:00 PM CST , Blogger Lois said...

Patricia, I don't think you want your washer and dryer on the second floor even though it sounds ideal. Our new neighbors have theirs on the second floor and developed a leak! Yikes--into the kitchen on the first floor!

Mom (Lois)

 
At Monday, August 8, 2011 at 4:09:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to do laundry once a week - at least that was the goal. Really it meant I sorted it one day and took about 3-4 days to wash it all. Now, I'm trying to sort and wash once the hamper is full. So, I wash for about 2 days then break for 2-3 days and then the cycle starts again. I know that I would keep up much better if I did not have to bring the clothes up and down the stairs.
And, yeah we definitley have days that we live out of the laundry basket. Especially when I was working full time.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home