This page has moved to a new address.

Swimsuit Identity Crisis

You're About to be Redirected to the New Home of Ground Control to Major Mom: Swimsuit Identity Crisis

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Swimsuit Identity Crisis

So -- the first day of Spring has come and gone.

What does that mean?

Flowers, April Showers coming, pollen, allergies, deciding between Zyrtec, Allegra and Flonase...

Oops, sorry, not the direction I was headed.

It also means that when you go to the clothing retailers, the first items that will catch your eyes will be SWIMSUITS. I'm still shivering in a sweater...how do they expect me to be in the mood for trying on a swimsuit?!?!?

Or worse yet, appreciating how I'd look in a swimsuit?!?!?

I told Dave yesterday that this year I need to get at least one new bathing suit.

"What's wrong with the ones you have?"

Where do I start?

I have 3 bathing suits. The elastic is going bad on my favorite one (circa 2002, got it at Land's End overstocks right after Jacob was born). Ever had elastic go bad on a suit? I don't mean the waistbands or arm holes, either...I mean, you give that Lycra a good stretch across your backside to put it on and when you take 'em off, the fabric doesn't retreat....

So I want to replace the Land's End one.

When you look in the stores, here's what is available (courtesy of Roxy):


Sorry folks, I'm TOO OLD to be dressing like this at the pool/beach now. I can't tote around 3-year-olds, don an inner tube alongside Jake and jump into the pool in it, either.


Here's more my speed:

Like the skirt?

Cost-wise, they're about the same. I'll end up spending about $100 no matter what. Dave can't believe that. But if I can get 5 years out of it, then it's like buying a $20 suit every year for 5 years, right?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Monday, March 31, 2008 at 9:01:00 AM CDT , Blogger Paul said...

So many things wrong here...where to begin?

First, $100 is not unreasonable for a good women's swimsuit, sorry Dave. By "good swimsuit" I mean something that is functional yet flatters the wearer.

However, $100 is the least of Dave's problems.

Patricia, you're 33, right? 34? What the hell are thinking looking at a suit with a skirt? You're not fat - you'll have plenty of time to wear your mother's swimsuit when you're 60. There are more than 2 swimsuits in the world. Find the middle ground between suit for teenager and suit for grandmother.

If my wife spent $100 on a suit with a skirt I'd pitch a fit too.

Maybe the problem is your plan to wear the suit for 5 years. If my young, fit wife told me she was planning on wearing a skirt to the beach for the next 5 years, why, I think I'd have to gouge my eyes out.

But then again, maybe the suit would match the Prius and the Crocs :)

 
At Monday, March 31, 2008 at 9:15:00 AM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, Paul, I'm stunned into speechlessness...okay, I'm over it now.

Off to buy a $100 bathing suit!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home